La Grande, also known as La Villa del Undoso, is a municipality and
city located on the north coast of the province of Villa
Clara in central Cuba. It is located on the
Sagua la Grande River.
city is located close to Mogotes de Jumagua, a set of limestone cliffs.
Many cays of the Sabana-Camaguey Archipelago are located off the northern
coast of the municipality.
la Grande was founded in 1812 and established as a municipality in 1842. By the
beginning of the 20th century, the city and its port (Isabela de Sagua), had
grown to become an important commercial center. Presently, its economy is based
on the sugar, chemical, mechanical, and food industries. Cattle raising and
fishing are other important economic activities.
general History of Sagua La Grande is concentrated in two great investigations:
The historian Antonio Miguel Alcover Beltrán left to the inheritance of the
events related to century XIX thanks to his personal interrogations to each one
of the authors of history; and at the moment Pedro Suárez Tintín has been in
charge to rescue all century XX and leaves from the XXI in his famous “Tintin
Collection” that includes newspapers, books, photos, films and videos of all
the historical events of the referred time.
2004, the municipality of Sagua la Grande had a population of 56,097. With a
total area of 661 km².
municipality is divided into the barrios of Baire, Chinchila, Este, General
Nodarse, Isabela de Sagua, Jumagua, Malpáez, Oeste and Sitiecito
city's wide streets and little traffic give it a calm atmosphere.
recent decades there has been a lack of new construction. Consequently, the
older buildings, left over from colonial times, are in a state of decay. One of
the most beautiful buildings in this city, El Casino Español (The Spanish
Casino) built in 1908, was the meeting place for the Sociedad Sagüera (Social
Club of Sagua). The historical center of the city retains the neoclassic essence
of its constructions and the layout of its streets.