is a municipality and city in the La
Habana Province of Cuba. It is located 30 miles
(48 km) southeast of Havana,
next to the Mayabeque River.
city was founded in 1737 by the Spanish. Prior to the arrival of the
Spanish, what is now Güines was part of a region ruled by the Indian
of the earliest mentions of the word Güines is in 1598, when Don Diego de
Rivera or Ribera was awarded a land grant for Los Güines Corral.
1837, a railway was opened from Havana - the first in Cuba, and one of the
earliest in the Americas. In 2004, the municipality of Güines had a population
of 68,951. With a total area of 445 km²
municipality is divided into the barrios of Catalina, Norte, Rural Primero,
Rural Segundo, Rural Tercero, Rural Cuarto and Sur.