is a municipality and city in the Matanzas
Province of Cuba. The municipality is
divided into the barrios of Agüica, Este, Guareiras, Jacán, Laguna
Grande, Oeste and Palmillas.
town was founded in 1846 under the name Nueva Bermeja. In 1851 the
railroad reaches the town. In 1859, it achieves the status of villa
(town) with the name Colón. The founder's name is don Martín José
Zozaya, who founded the town in the former hacienda named La Bermeja.
The deed to establish this town was signed in the city of Matanzas in
1836. At the time, don Martín set apart land for a cemetery and a church.
original name of the town was La Nueva Bermeja. The railroad had arrived
near the new town in 1843 but did not cross the town until 1851. In 1852,
Fernando Diago, the owner of the sugar-mill Ponina, inaugurates the first public
school in town. Colón's economy is centered around agriculture (sugarcane,
tobacco, citrus fruit, honey) and stock raising. It is also an important railway
center. In 2004, the municipality of Colón had a population of 71,579. With a
total area of 597 km²